I announced earlier this evening that this upcoming 12 months is going to be the Year of Dave, featuring lots of me doing more of the things that I want to do, for me.
One of these things is taking more vacations. To that end, the Year of Dave is starting off with a bang. This Friday night, I will be taking a red-eye flight to DC, then catching the 6 AM flight from Dulles to Manchester, NH, to start my Summer of Love excursion.
The rough schedule is something like:
- August 9-10: Boston with Mira Kelsey, one of my oldest and dearest friends. Happenstance would have it that, that very same weekend, several other high school compatriots, namely Heather Irish, Catherine Tafur, and Stacey Rosenberg, will also be in the Boston area, so a mini-reunion of the John Dickinson High School class of 1994 would appear to be in order.
- August 11-13: Cape Cod with Jess and Nate. Jess’s parents own a place on the Cape, and Jess has been kind enough to invite me to spend a few relaxing days with them. Last we spoke, she hadn’t actually gotten permission from her parents for me to stay there, but that seems like a minor detail.
- August 13-14: Delaware with the parental units. Nothing too exciting here, but a few days in the old haunts. Oh, that, and picking up my new motorcycle. You remember that, don’t you?
- August 14-18: Ride my new Hog (I can’t believe I just said that) to Washington D.C. to spend time with a variety of folks, including old friends Chris Tracy, Cortney, Colby, Faithful Reader L.T., and of course my loving middle sister Lisa, who certainly wants a chance to show off her new condo, which I have not yet seen.
- Night of August 18: Ride to Portsmouth, VA to visit the lovely-and-talented Becky Staben, younger sister of Michelle Staben, official Best Friend of the Damn Lefties. Maybe she can show me her aircraft carriers (relax, kids, she’s in the Navy!)
- August 19-21: Raleigh, N.C., well, the triangle area of N.C. anyhow, in the company of the aforementioned elder Staben, along with husband and Faithful Reader L.J., Chaffee Viets, the official Scotch Buddy of the Damn Lefties, and old Michigan friend Amber Ratliff.
- August 22-25: Raleigh, N.C. to Longmont, CO. Exact route not yet planned, although it seems to be a safe assumption that I will try and include some interesting little mountain towns and road, and that my ass will hurt an inordinate amount by the time I make it home.
Not a bad start to the Year of Dave, if I do say so myself…